What is Cordage?
- Cordage is a series of intertwined fibers, strands, strings, or fabric that are joined by twisting to form a larger more formidable whole.
- The rope cordage industry has taken the basic concept of the rope and developed a wide array of products that include common styles of rope to those that are specially produced for unusual and unique applications.
- The two methods for producing rope are braiding and twisting.
- Over the centuries, the design and processes used to produce cordage has gradually changed.
- Ancient materials that were originally used to produce rope have gradually changed from hemp, jute, and manila to a wide variety of synthetic materials.