What is an Electric Coil?
- An electric coil, or electromagnetic coil, is an electrical conductor that contains a series of conductive wires wrapped around a ferromagnetic core that is cylindrical, toroidal, or disk-like.
- There are a wide range of electrical coils that vary according to the gauge of their wires, coil diameter, wire lengths, the number of loops, and type of core material, which can be air, iron, steel, ceramic material, or iron based formless tape.
- Electric coils are commonly found in industrial manufacturing, medical equipment, and equipment that supplies electricity to residential and commercial buildings.
- The wire and its winding are important aspects of an electrical coil and its performance.
- The choice of the type of electrical coil is determined by how it will be used, which includes whether the project requires a DC or AC electric motor.