What is a Cooling Tower?
- Cooling towers are specialized heat exchangers, but instead of the usual conduction - convection heat transfer of shell and tube heat exchangers, it generates cooling by bringing water and air into contact.
- This cooling is achieved through evaporative cooling and sensible heat transfer.
- There are different types of cooling towers depending on its air flow generation, air-to-water flow, heat transfer method and construction. Each of these types has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- There are three important factors that determine cooling tower efficiency: relationship between range and approach, wet-bulb temperature and cooling load.
- Because of the continuous evaporation of water, several problems arise such as scaling and biological fouling. Common water treatment methods are water blowdown, filtration, water softening and chemical addition.